Larry -
does your birding friend have a wish list for specific flora? When we were traveling in the 80's up to '92 out west I took careful notes as I was still submitting stuff to animals Animals/Earth Scenes and I have a few boxes of dups and rejects from them that have specific locations and species.  They had to be razor sharp and well ID'd.. and Ive travelled somewhere in California alone in the 90's, 2002, 2005. anyway I may have  something I could contribute
as I'm sure you do too!

ann

On 2/27/2018 1:42 AM, Larry Colen wrote:
I asked a friend who is excellent at ID'ing local fauna about the bird. His comments are below, but it's definitely a redtail. RJ really enjoys ID'ing from photos, so I can put anyone who is interested in contact with him. I was thinking of introducing him and Jack because RJ is working on a project to get photos of 50 native plants and 50 native animals from each of the counties in California.

-------- Original Message --------
Subject:     Re: Fwd: PESO Raptor Rapture
Date:     Tue, 27 Feb 2018 06:25:45 +0000 (UTC)

To:     Larry Colen <l...@red4est.com>

Hi Larry,

Definitely a Red-tailed Hawk (adult). At first I thought it was the pale
prairie subspecies often referred to as a "Krider's" Red-tailed Hawk,
but the extensive belly band and the tail with orange going all the way
to the base (rather than with an extensive whitish wash at the base and
orange only on the outer half), leaves me to think this is what is often
called a pale-morph Red-tailed Hawk. Red-tails are extremely variable
and can range from very pale like this one to almost entirely
chocolate-brown.

Fantastic photos - thanks for sharing them!
RJ
On Monday, February 26, 2018, 6:00:06 PM PST, Larry Colen