Christine,

Thanks for your comment. I agree with most of what you said, except for
the style issue that John has also commented on (below). I actually
did not remember that Strunk & White had it defined, so, I was relying just on the common sense: you don't need to revert/invert/turn you head around or jump on one foot to match the order in the caption to that in the photo.
Any style that says differently is impractical and inefficient.

In my work I've dealt with several different styles, primarily those that technical journals use. The most prominent ones include American Institute of Physics (AIP) style and IEEE style. I tend to think that the initial idea of any of those styles is to provide a (standard) tool for effective (and often efficient) communication. The problem, however, is where some provisions and rules (often stale and outdated, or sometimes purely historical, based on no practical consideration) are inefficient or illogical, and the style Cerberus[es] refuse to update those. [*]

2-3 years ago, I've head a discussion with the chief editor of one of the IEEE journals on the style used in that journal. He actually agreed to the fact that some provisions were not the most efficient. IIRC, he even agreed to change some that were not dictated by the IEEE style, but said he couldn't change those that are "inherited" from the umbrella IEEE style.

[*] One vivid example is the "illogical" quotation marks:
http://www.slate.com/articles/life/the_good_word/2011/05/the_rise_of_logical_punctuation.html

Cheers,

Igor