There were some hopeful notes in the short article that preceded the essay.

Bike sharing remains popular & will probably continue at a more sustainable rate. Cities have moved to regulate the industry.

And looking at the images, they're doing more than just dumping them in great piles. The images showing those bikes in rows and rows of color suggest to me that they'll eventually be fed back into the system as demand grows.

And I know there are several charities that take old bikes, refurbish them and donate them in places where people - adults & children - can really use them for transportation. Maybe some of those bikes will end up that way.

But mostly I was just attracted to the waves & swirls of color in the photos.