On 4/1/2018 11:37, John wrote:
Just stepped outside to put recyclables in the bin when a bird flew up out of my back yard buzzed just over my head before flying off across the street & out of sight beyond the neighbor's house

Anyone remember the old Ray Stevens song The Streak ... "Here he comes, boogity boogity, there he goes ..."

It was that fast... Gone in a flash. No chance of running inside to grab my camera. I got just the briefest glimpse.

My impression is the breast, underside of the wings & tail feathers (seen as it approached me) were light brown to reddish brown. The back of the head & top of the wings (seen as it flew away) appeared to be blue.

I think it might have been an American Kestrel.

It could have been perched on the fence between my back yard and the next door neighbor. I'll keep an eye out for it and maybe if I see it again I can get a photo.

It would be so cool if it decided to nest somewhere back there in the "mini-wilderness" between my back yard and the neighbor behind me.

Looks like spring might have finally sprung around here.

And a little bit of follow up. I could be mistaken in my ID.

I looked up all of the hawks & falcons that can be found in North Carolina and there are other possibilities:

Sharp Shinned Hawk
Coopers Hawk
Peregrine falcon
Merlin (aka Pigeon Hawk)

Sharp Shinned Hawk may be the best color match to my impression, but it doesn't spread its tail feathers as much in flight as my impression of this one.

I've seen a Coopers Hawk in the neighborhood before. In fact, the time I saw it, I almost had to duck when it swooped down over my head to take a Robin.

I remember hearing there's a nesting pair of Peregrines on one of the tall buildings downtown. That would be cool, but means there's no chance it would nest somewhere in my back yard. No cliffs.

Don't know if I've ever seen a Merlin.

It was definitely NOT a Red Tailed Hawk. There are several of those that hang around the neighborhood & I've seen them so many times there's no doubt in my mind I'd have recognized one. And this one was much too small, even for a juvenile.

I'll keep an eye out and maybe I can get a photo.