I think that the reason the K3 sells for more than the K3II is the pop up flash.  It can be very convenient, and while GPS which replaces it would be very useful in a number of applications, it really isn't that important in most shooting situations, whereas when you need a little extra light, you definitely need a little extra light.  In most every other way the K3II looks like the superior body.

Modern lubricants shouldn't be causing the the erratic behavior in drive speed, which is what used to be what causes cameras sitting in boxes to stiffen up over time.  If it did you'd probably also notice serious exposure problems.  I expect something else is happening.

Silly question, did you upgrade the "new" cameras to the latest firmware?