-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of frank theriault
Sent: Monday, May 27, 2002 6:25 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Home developing - was: Kodak Portra?

Hi, Bill,

Well, you see, that's one of the other things that gives me inertia
(causes me to be inert?  whatever...).  The guy who runs the lab I use,
Bob, does good work.  Several times I've gone in to pick up stuff, and
he's told me that he's re-doing several prints, because the first ones
were to dark or whatever.  Then he gives me the "good" ones and the dark
ones.  Never an extra charge.

Unfortunately, times aren't too good for him right now.  He says that
digital is really killing his business, and (half jokingly) pleads with
me not to go digital.  He really doesn't have the money to invest in the
latest high-zoot digital printing stuff, given what he could charge for
the prints.

And, I really like him.  We always chat about cameras, film, stereos,
whatever.  I really do like supporting a small businessman like him.

I'd really hate to see someone like him go out of business, but
unfortunately, in Toronto, there are so many big pro labs that do b&w,
I'm afraid he doesn't have too long left.  OTOH, maybe that's a good
reason to at least ~learn~ to do it myself, have the equipment, so that
when he does go under...

Oh well...

-frank