If anyone wants to find out just how pedantic I an get about whisky, show up here sometime for whiskymas, or talk me into giving a tour of the isles.

Daniel J. Matyola wrote:
I like Laphroig as well.  A solid bargain.

I usually don't pay $90 for Lagavulin;  one has to shop the discount liquor
stores and keep an eye out for specials.

When I discovered Lagavulin it was only $42/bottle, these days I've seen it for a pretty decent price at Costco. A bit of poking around seems to show that it's going for about $55/bottle.

If there is a trader joe's near you, check out their Finlaggin, it is an Islay malt, they don't say which distillery it comes from, but many people think that it is Lagavulin. It's definitely yummy.

When both Laphroig and Lagavulin are priced too high, I go for Green Label
(a blend but with single malts only, no grain spirits) or Bush Black or
Irish Honey.

On the subject of pedantry, green label is a pure malt, also known as a vatted whisky. Single malts are made from a single malting of barley, vatted, or pure malts are made by mixing multiple single malts. A blended whisky can be made of a mixture of any fermented and distilled grains.

I learned a tremendous amount from Michael Jackson's world guide to whiskey
https://www.thriftbooks.com/w/whiskey-the-definitive-world-guide_michael-james-jackson/310228/?mkwid=s79WclwC7%7cdc&pcrid=70112914152&pkw=&pmt=&plc=&gclid=Cj0KCQjwibDXBRCyARIsAFHp4fp4nqIUCfBL75KAGFVVfIee5qns9ZtDvdGIpSHSFe0zAX58_DDd_QsaAutmEALw_wcB#isbn=1561382078&idiq=12231623

His complete guide to single malt scotch is also on of of the definitive reference books on the subject. The mantle has been picked up and new editions have been released since he passed on.

I picked up the boot Still Life with Bottle by Ralph Steadman for the pictures, but it turned out to be quite a good book on scotch.
https://www.amazon.com/Still-Life-Bottle-According-Steadman/dp/0151003106

This discussion reminds me that I need to pick up another bottle of Tullamore Dew. Actually, I should pick up a couple of bottles because I've found that chopping up vanilla beans and letting them soak in Tully makes a wonderful drink, or a pretty nice vanilla extract if you happen to need one.

One must be flexible.

If I'm at the bar and its the other guy's turn to buy, I choose Lagavulin.
<G>

Dan Matyola