On Mon, May 7, 2018 at 2:09 PM, John <sesso...@earthlink.net> wrote:
> On 5/7/2018 13:17, Bruce Walker wrote:
>>
>> Sounds promising, actually. Plan is to keep them separate but bridge
>> them in some useful way. SmugMug has a photographer-centric viewpoint
>> versus social media's advertising slant.
>>
>> http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/latest/photo-news/flickr-buy-questions-answered-118481
>
> The only problem I foresee with SmugMug buying Flickr is that when Yahoo
> owned them I had to use my Yahoo login to login to Flickr. And that's been
> so long that I don't remember my original Flickr username & password from
> BEFORE Yahoo bought them.
>
> I'm wondering if there's going to be any problem resurrecting an independent
> Flickr login for those of us who don't want to use our Yahoo login for
> something that is no longer part of Yahoo?

SmugMug will have to figure that out together with Yahoo. Yahoo
purposely reconfigured the Flickr authentication process to be
integrated with Yahoo's many years ago and I'm pretty sure that by now
all the original Flickr login credentials are history. Part of the
ownership cut-over will have to involve separating Flickr completely
from any Yahoo infrastructure in a clean way. It's been done before --
correctly -- so I'm confident it will happen in this case too and I'm
not too concerned myself.

I just hope they manage a cleaner cutover than the TSB/Lloyd's banking disaster.

--
-bmw