I think there is such a big multitude of parameters in photography that one can learn some new aspects even after many years of experience. I am sure that even world-renown photographers can learn some new techniques in the areas of photography (genres) that they haven't worked in. So, if a photographer feels he/she has hit a plateau, I would offer a challenge of getting into a new photography genre. Mastering it up would
probably provide some useful insights for other photographic activities.

E.g. for the people who are experts of working with studio lights, - offer trying to do a low-light photography of dancers or photography of stage artists (musicians, dancers, actors) in ambient and better yet dynamic light. People who are experts in landscape photography, should try, e.g. "posed" portraits in studio settings.
And so on, - the multitude of areas is very large.

I remember that when I started photographing dancers some 13+ years ago, that was a considerable challenge that was very different from most things I've been photographing before. Even coming to photographing tango from swing dances brought some new challenges. (You know this, so, you will likely understand what I am trying to say here.)

When I started photographing ice skating a bit over a year ago, - I felt I had to figure out some new area. The experience in dance photography was helpful: after all, the ice-skaters also dance to music, but they do it differently. While (more than half of the time) the light is not as low as in the dance avenues we both are familiar with, - the speed is much higher, and the area skaters cover is much larger, and the quality of light could be better - so some new challenges related to the optimal exposure arise in a new way. (And when the performance is of the theatrical "spot-light" type, - i.e. with the dark arena and 2-3 spot-lights on the ice-skater(s), it becomes even more challenging.)

What's interesting is that after a few--months break between the events, I feel that I've forgotten some things that I've learned before, sometimes getting "D'oh!" moments.

So, the advice would be - trying new genres outside of one's "comfort zone".

Igor