Most Pentax flashes (and some Pentax-dedicated ones of other brands)
will tell the ME Super to set the 1/125 shutter speed automatically
when the mode dial is on auto and the flash is ready. The manual
1/125 position on the ME Super is for flashes that don't set the
shutter speed themselves and for a manual backup speed. It's also a
good choice for advancing those first couple of frames at the
beginning of a roll.

AFAIK, the camera will synch with a flash at all speeds, although of
course at higher than 1/125 the frame will not be fully exposed when
the flash goes off.

For slow-speed flash synch, set the shutter speed in manual mode via
the pushbuttons. A Pentax flash (AF160, AF280T, AF200T, etc.) may set
the 1/125 speed by itself even when you're in manual mode, but
there's a workaround: I don't have my ME Super here at work to check,
but if it works like the Super Program, in manual mode, it will set
the shutter speed to 1/125 only if the speed you had selected before
turning the flash on was 1/250 or faster. If your manually selected
speed was 1/125 or slower, you should get the flash ready signal, but
the camera may keep the shutter speed where you had it.

Joe