I have them in a mesh cage so that birds and insects can not get to them.
Most birds and some insects, like mantises, avoid monarchs and monarch
caterpillars because they are toxic, from the milkweed that they eat.

I do not attach the eggs.  It would be impossible, as they are much smaller
than the period in a printed book.  I buy them form the "Butterfly Lady" in
PA:  http://www.monarchs-and-milkweed.com/Monarch%20Larvae.htm

I received a small milkweed plant with more than 10 eggs attached to it.
So far, the newly hatched caterpillars are still on that small plant, and
eating it up rapidly.  In addition to several milkweed plants I planted in
the yard, a have several growing on my deck in pots, and will move the cats
there when their original milkweed plant is just about used up.  I have
netting that I will place over the pots and plants to protect the pupae
from predators.  Under the federal regulations subject to which I bought
the eggs, I can not release the monarch into the environment until they are
adult butterflies.

Dan Matyola