I hadn't thought about Ford using the "Escort" name in Europe/Asia for many more years before they used it in the U.S.

I suspect yours was an earlier model with a more robust engine than my 1995 U.S. model.

On 8/10/2018 19:53, John Coyle wrote:
I guess I was lucky, John - the car kept going for some years after that: it
wasn't a lucky car
though, it was stolen twice, once just after I had it resprayed British Racing
Green!  Suckers must
have thought it was a fast car!

John in Brisbane

-----Original Message-----
From: PDML <pdml-boun...@pdml.net> On Behalf Of John Sessoms
Sent: Saturday, 11 August 2018 3:23 AM
To: pdml@pdml.net
Subject: Re: Automotive fun

The Escort was a great economy car, but if it ever overheated enough to pin the
gauge, you were
looking at a new engine. Aluminum cylinder block warped. The dealer advised me
it would be cheaper
to replace the engine than to try to repair it.

Plus that Escort had a plastic radiator that could "leak" bits into the new
engine to block coolant
flow, causing the new engine to fail as well.

YMMV, but that's how *my* Escort wagon died.