In a message dated 5/29/2002 6:23:15 PM Central Daylight Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> Could you give a bit more explanation of the failure?
>
> 1) How often is "sometimes"?

I've taken it out shooting two or three times total and this happened on two
occasions -- I'd taken some photos with the combination successfully but then
had the problem on another try. On the second occasion, I turned the camera
off and back on (in case it was a camera problem) and the lens/adapter/camera
combination behaved properly after I turned it back on.

> 2) Do you mean that it won't acquire AF lock, or that it doesn't even
> seem to try to AF before giving up or what?

It moves as if attempting to focus but does not come anywhere near
succeeding. I also failed to mention that this was a problem with objects
closer to infinity than to me, and it seemed that it couldn't focus that far.

> 3) If it doesn't even seem to try to AF, do you feel any vibrations or
> anything that would indicate the camera body is trying to spin the AF
> motor but the movement isn't going through?

As above ...

> 4) Have you cleaned all of the contacts on both sides of the 1.7X AF
> T/C?  If one of them "drops out" occasionally, the camera might it's
> got an MF lens rather than an AF one.

Will try that this evening -- it has been a few months since I last attempted
to use the adapter, so I can't remember now if I already cleaned the
contacts.

Thanks.

ERNR
My photographs hang on the virtual walls at http://members.aol.com/ernreed