That's a very interesting creature. It looks like a young, unopened pine cone, or rather that from a "cedar pine" (in which pine nuts are found).
Thanks for sharing it with us, Brian!

There are some very interesting animals in your "neck of the woods".
We still have very fond memories from the visit to your continent, and especially from the tours that you and Rob gave to us and the interaction with all of you (and your wife).

One of the most vividly remembered encounters was in the stones near the ocean with yet another lizard (was that a monitor?) that was just about a meter away from me when I was trying to photograph it. I believe it was Rob who photographed me photographing that lizard. Unfortunately, the photographs I took then are on the older computer. I've shown some of them in my class, but I've never posted them on the web.

We also have armored creatures in our area, what I call "armored rats": armadillos. Most of the time I see them as a road kill, but I've seen them a few times crossing the road or running through the front yard.
So, they don't sunbath (or even moonshine) on the road.

I feel for you and your efforts of removing these creatures from the road. We have turtles that frequently cross the road in our subdivision. We have two ponds on two sides of the road, and a lot of time water turtles that live in these ponds cross the road. One of the problems is that often they have hard time climbing onto the curbstone once they cross the road. And then they get stuck. Over the years, I've removed plenty of them from the pavement.

But on two occasions, I've helped to small land-dwelling, what I'd call "prairie"- (or desert-?) type turtles on the road as well (just within some 100-200 meters from that ponds area).
They are either "Emydidae":  desert or ornate box turtles (most likely)
http://www.texasturtles.org/Emydidae.html
or Texas tortoise: http://www.texasturtles.org/Gopherus_berlandieri.html

I've also seen a few places with a massive turtle crossing on a relatively major, high-speed highway. That's where it also becomes a potential road hazard.

Cheers,

Igor