The encouragement is not so much from "Instagram the app" -- into
which you can toss whatever you darned well please -- but "Instagram
the marketing vehicle and popularity contest".

It is touted by enthusiasts as a way to get your work noticed (and so
make yourself more marketable), but to do that you find you have to
create work that is popular on IG, and that leads to a silly circular
feedback loop with everyone producing the same muck.

If you just want to share your work conveniently with a few friends
and family, it works just fine for that.

--
-bmw