On Thu, 30 May 2002 18:28:06 -0700, Bill D. Casselberry wrote:

> TM wrote:
>
> > [...] the shutter or the fence that caused this. [...]
>
>       Could you see the fence in the viewfinder, all out of focus?
>       If so - it makes some sense that its "shadow" lessened exposure
>     [...]

If someone's got a couple of meg of web space, I can provide a couple
of images from a recent race shoot that clearly show a blurry fence.  I
was using a 400/5.6 lens and the subject (focus) was about fifty feet
out (about 15m), the fence was at maybe three feet (just less than 1m).

For confirmation, I'd take the image into Photoshop, convert it to gray
scale, and enhance the heck out of the contrast, just short of
posterization.  Then look for the telltale "cross hatch" pattern in the
density variations.

If the pattern is not there, you can rule out the fence, with very high
probability.  If the pattern is there you can't rule out the fence, and
there's probably a pretty high probability that the fence is the issue.
 Of course, you can't be 100% confident on that little data. :-)

TTYL, DougF KG4LMZ