I just realised what you meant by the unfortunate weather.  That was pretty
much confined to the mountains.  It caused a little trouble with a washed-out
bridge but it certainly wasn't any kind of disaster.  If they get that kind of
rain around the Kaikoura region it might be a bit worse as there is a lot of
land that's still loose since the big quake two years ago.

Cheers,
Dave