On 12/5/2018 15:34:53, Ken Waller wrote:
It almost seems that they don't want us to repair our equipment.

Cameras are not the only consumer item not made for repair. Try to get a coffee maker or other kitchen appliance repaired and you'll find the same issue.

In optimizing design, repairability doesn't figure into the profitability
equation.

That just doesn't sit well with my upbringing. I grew up with "Use it, repair it, reuse it and keep on using it until it can't be repaired any more."

*THEN*, if you still need it, buy a replacement (and by that time, you can probably find a bargain on a good used one).