This is something I advise my students: It's OK to try to imitate
great photographers.

"Failing to get it right is actually your benefit — when you fail to
mimic them, you accidentally get your own thing out of it. I often say
that style comes from being influenced by so many people that you can
no longer recognize the influence and you’ve developed confidence in
your own personality and that’s started to supersede the influences."
 - Geddy Lee

He's talking about being a musician, but it applies equally well to
photography.

--
Mark Roberts - Photography & Multimedia
www.robertstech.com