Dan,

That sounds like a fun family history! Thanks for sharing.
I actually remember about your Ruthenian roots, from the discussion a few years ago. And your clarifications make perfect sense. Sorry if my comments sounded critical.

And I just looked up your grandparents' church in NJ.
(It is interesting to see three different Orthodox churches in a small US town, - all within 2-3 blocks from each other.)

Somehow (the looks are different... maybe the fact that both are rather
smallish?), it reminded me of the St. Nicolas church I saw some 4 years ago in a small (but some 400-years-old) village ("Bol'shoe Goloustnoe") on the shore of Lake Baikal:
https://42graphy.org/galleries/2014-08-baikal/1-selected/_IR29959.html
This is a totally new church built in 2001 in place of the previous churches (the first one was built in 1701, and the last one was destroyed in 1937). Here is one more view of that church:
https://42graphy.org/galleries/2014-08-baikal/b-goloustnoe/_IR29956.html

Your rather complicated history of the diverse religious connections/associations reminded me of a fun fact by which I get amused every time I recall it: the official name for the Eastern Orthodox Church is "Orthodox Catholic Church".

Cheers,

Igor