I went out Friday to shoot a street sign of the middle school play with my
Super Program and Vivitar Series One 90-180 macro with Portra 160. The
shutter speed read 4 seconds, no matter what aperture I chose. Having seen
this problem before, I knew at once what had happened: I had inserted the
lens carelessly, mangling the autodiaphragm coupling (or something like
that). The weekend before, I had hurriedly inserted the Vivitar so that my
daughter could take a close-up of a small frog.

The first time the coupling broke, I had been careless in removing a Pentax
M42 adapter ring. But I didn't suspect I had to exercise care when
installing a K-mount lens.

Sure enough, I can't remove the lens. It wiggles but won't come out.
Someone at the store will be able to remove it.

I have two Super Programs, and I hope this is the one for which I bought a
4-year warranty. But I feel awful asking the store to fix it a second time
when it was almost certainly my fault. I'll tell them the truth; the
warranty covers carelessness.

Now that I think of it, Pentax lenses seem to go in and out more easily
than third-party and Ricoh lenses. I dunno; I think that on other brands
the coupling sticks out farther.

During Thursday night's shoot of the school play, I was swapping lenses
from behind the tripod-mounted cameras (KX and Sears) and having a hard
time of inserting the lenses. From now on, I'll stand in front of the body
when inserting a lens.

By the way, I shot the sign at the mechanical speed of 1/125 second at f/16.

Paul Franklin Stregevsky