I don't think it relies completely on the user's phones to locate them. I've talked to a couple of people who told me you need the app to unlock the scooter, but you don't have to "log out" when you're done. You just walk away and leave it sitting wherever you are when you're done with it.

Around Raleigh there's a couple of guys with a van picking up the ones that are left in an unusable locations** and/or those whose batteries have run down & relocating them to where they need to be; replacing the run down ones with scooters that have freshly charged batteries.