Following some posts, I opened the back of the 1p that has been
producing scratched negatives. I carefully brushed out all debris, then
went over accessible surfaces (except the shutter, of course) with a
soft cloth. The interior now looks pretty clean. Then I ran a roll of
cheap film through it, and rewound leaving the leader out. Sure enough,
there's the scratch, apparently being caused by the pressure plate.

Here's the annoyance: I've cleaned the pressure plate, and gone over it
with a 15x hand lens. I cannot see anything that could be causing the
scratch. I've run my finger over every surface that could be causing a
scratch to check for any rough spots. I've cleaned everything.

Any recommendations? It's June 1, and I don't want to send the camera to
Pentax for half the summer.

Thanks,

Joe