I too have been pleasantly surprised by the results from
our (first and only) digital camera -- a Canon S110
(purchased just before the Pentax Optio came out).  I
bought it as a small, unobtrusive and easy to carry
around camera, thinking it would at least be good for
emailing pictures of our son, etc.  But even though it
has only two megapixels, it has produced some good 8 x
10s, to my surprise.  It doesn't rival the best 35mm has
to offer, of course, and is easily fooled by tricky
lighting situations.  But it's a good point and shoot
and, if there's some thought and composition between the
pointing and shooting, you can get a pretty nice picture.

Steve

      I can understand your disappointment however I'll
just say don't base your
      whole digital camera perspective on the experience
gained from as you said is a
      "bloated point and shoot, with a 3mp chip and a
zoom lens".

      The G1 camera falls relatively early in the
digital development curve,
      technology has progressed since, and as I've said
before the number of pixels
      ain't the worst of the problems with this style of
camera. Borrow the manual
      next time (if there is one) and tone down the in-
camera image processing.

      My digital camera is now about a generation and a
half behind its current peers
      but  it's a still more capable than most of
current the PnS style digital
      cameras. I just snapped an image in my back yard,
evil conditions but here
      goes:

      http://www.home.aone.net.au/audiobias/P6030661.JPG
(2,643,842B)