Just in case this information could be helpful (related to the suggestions by Mark and Godfrey):

I've been printing from CS6 from a Windows computer (Photoshop ver 13.0 x64) on Epson R2880 without any problems related to banding. That's the version from "About Photoshop". So, I don't think any updates were installed. But then Mac and Windows versions could behave differently.

I just checked the most recent photo-cards I printed from PS, and they were printed at 400 PPI and 308 PPI (as reported by PS).

I am printing with the settings where PS controls the colors using the appropriate paper profiles.

It does sound like it might be some weird PS - printer driver communication problem. This could be due to the driver or due to the PS (more likely the latter, since you can print just fine from another program.).
I can think about two things to try:
1. Move the PS configurations to a different folder to let it start with the default configurations (Google how to do that and where that config file is located, - that is a frequently described procedure for when Photoshop refuses to start.) Sorry, I am not sure about location of those files on Mac.

2. If that doesn't work, try reinstalling the printer driver.

I have my doubts that it is the installation of the driver, so, I am not sure if #2 would help, but ...

HTH,

Igor

PS. I wonder if Epson salt would be helpful for Epsom printers. :-)