I think they effectively do give them away.  Printer company's follow the Gillette company's or Kodak's old film marketing plan. Gillette gave away a moderately expensive razor and made their money selling the refill blades for more than they were worth, Kodak didn't care about making cameras really, they sold film which every camera needed, one of their engineers was once said to have remarked that the packaging of a 35mm film cartridge cost more than the film inside.

Sadly in their death throws Kodak tried to sell printers for what they cost plus a reasonable profit margin and ink for what it cost to make plus a reasonable profit margin.   They apparently failed miserably at that, people were more willing to buy the almost free printer from the other manufactures and pay through the nose for inks.