So owners will need two cars - one on charge & one on the road. Oh for a time machine!

Alan C

On 12-Jul-19 07:59 PM, Paul Stenquist wrote:
Batteries are extremely heavy and have to be built into the car’s architecture.
Swapping them out would be very difficult. They will become more compact, but
that will be a slow process, and thy’ll probably never weight less than a few
hundred pounds. (That’s why, in the days of lesser batteries, Formula E elected
to swap out complete cars rather than batteries.) There have been exponential
improvements in charging rates, and I expect that to continue. Plus, as DC fast
charging stations proliferate on major routs, topping off occasionally will
make sense. Motorists won’t be charging from point zero but rather adding 100
or 200 miles range at a time. That being said, IC engine vehicles and plug-in
hybrids will remain the choice for long trip driving for many years to come.
Electrics, though, are great urban cars, as one can top off the battery daily
at home, as my article explained and as the industry experts point out.
Paul