Am 08.09.19 um 03:02 schrieb P. J. Alling:
This could be fixed with signage.  There's a low underpass on the former
NY, NH, and Hartford, tracks where it crosses US1 in Madison CT, where
tractor trailers used to regularly get their trailers either scalped or
stuck.  Signs were place at several locations to warn of the impending
doom, and they seem to have worked.

So, you appear to have more sensible truck drivers or they at least can
read. We have here in Cologne what the locals call the "idiots' bridge"
which regularly gets hit by trucks, The council have tried it all:
signs, blinking lights, the lot. Has alleviated the problem somewhat but
there is still the occasional champion who gets stuck.

Next, we've had to restrict one of the two motorway bridges across the
Rhine to trucks above 3.5 tons for the time it takes to build a new one.
Signs were happily ignored, mainly by foreign drivers. So where  cameras
to fine the offenders which were ignored again because perpetrators were
out of the country long before they could be caught. In the end, they
had to install weighbridges and automatic barriers. Even those are
sometimes crashed through but at least they sort out most of them now.

Ralf

--
Ralf R. Radermacher  -  Köln/Cologne, Germany
Blog  : http://the-real-fotoralf.blogspot.com