Thanks Igor. I agree these huge stacks must be honey mushrooms.

Henk

Op 2019-10-21 om 17:56 schreef Igor PDML-StR:

Wow!
I envy you!
Great "harvest" and good photos!

We've been gathering those with my parents a lot when I was a kid.
It's been ages since I've done that. (I am not familiar with place in Texas where you can gather mushrooms, and I am not even sure if Central
Texas has much of variety of mushrooms that I am used to. The last time
I did mushroom hunting was in Mendocino county in N. California many years ago.)

The mushrooms in your photos, I believe, are called "Honey mushroom" (Genus Armillaria). The Russian name for it, "opyonok" (written as "openok", pl. openky), originates from "around a stump".
I just found that in Canada, in particular in Manitoba, it is called
the same way "openky", with the same origin attribution (via Ukrainian).

I just discovered this fun fact:

( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armillaria )
One of the four UK species can cause sickness when ingested with alcohol. For those unfamiliar with the species, it is advisable not to drink alcohol for 12 hours before and 24 hours after eating this mushroom to avoid any possible nausea and vomiting.
<<<<

In Russia, people often use marinated "Openky"- Honey Mushroom as a chaser after a shot of vodka. And I've never heard about anybody there vomiting after these mushroom...
On the other hand, after plenty of vodka...
;-)

Thanks for sharing!

Igor