> On 12 Nov 2019, at 20:56, Ralf R Radermacher <fotor...@gmx.de> wrote:
>
>> Am 12.11.19 um 19:30 schrieb Daniel J. Matyola:
>> Those locks seem to plague Paris more than other places I have visited, for
>> some reason.
>
> Other cities get more than their fair share, as well. This is our main
> railway bridge across the Rhine. The city authorities estimate there are
> about 50 tons of them at any time. They regularly remove them but
> they're back almost overnight.
>
> https://www.fotocommunity.de/photo/so-weit-das-auge-reicht-lava-eikon/42146056

On the Pont des Arts they have replaced the lovely metalwork with glass/perspex
panels after part of the bridge fell (or was it pushed?) into the river under
the weight. On one of the other bridges they use metal rods, which the
authorities regularly remove and then slide all the locks into a big bucket.