Thanks for the advice Ken, but I think I was one of the list members talking up Eric Hedrickson (I hope I spelled that right), several years ago.  And yes I've had a F 70-210 repaired by him several times.

However this repair hardly seems worth the postage.   The lens functions perfectly fine.  The plastic focusing ring popped off the focusing barrel, it almost pops back on and stays in place, but falls off after a couple of turns.

I could probably use the lens without and just turn the barrel in manual focus mode, it but the aesthetics are just wrong.

I'll probably use a dab of rubber cement to hold it in place.

On 11/27/2019 3:55 PM, Ken Waller wrote:
I love my copy of that lens. I had the fellow in Tenn. (don’t remember his
name) repair mine awhile ago - good as new.

-----Original Message-----
From: "P. J. Alling" <webstertwenty...@gmail.com>
Subject: Issue with 70-210 f 4.0~5.6 Need some advice.

Last weekend I managed to pull the focusing ring off my current copy of
this lens.  Now it won't stay on.  I don't know how to fix this.  I'm
leaning towards a drop of glue on each of the four contact points, but
that would make disassembly of the lens much more difficult if it ever
needs to be done.

Any suggestions?

--
Any idiot can shoot with a Canon, Nikon, or Sony, it takes a special kind of
idiot to use a Pentax.