I stopped trying to correct people about when decades end, (hint there's no year zero, so decades are one based), but the National Geographic should know better.  I know that screws with how people think of decades the aughts, teens, twenties, but that's just the way it is.  Besides the teens start at 13, and the leaves '11 and '12 as orphans anyway...