> On Mar 18, 2020, at 12:37 PM, Bob Pdml <pdm...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Can you update Camera Raw independently of LR?

Camera Raw is a plug-in in the context of Adobe Photoshop, but it is an
integrated, embedded component of Lightroom. Although they refer to it as
Camera Raw (because the plug-in and the embedded contexts use the same code),
you cannot update Camera Raw independently in the case of Lightroom.

I run only macOS, iOS, and iPadOS machines. I can't tell you what works or
doesn't on Linux, Windows, or Android OS platforms: I have no experience using
them for photography or image processing purposes.

LR 6.14 had broken bits getting increasingly severe through macOS 10.14.x
revisions. When I updated to macOS 10.15 "Catalina", LR broke and would not
run. After doing an extensive amount of trails with various alternatives, On1
being the most promising of them, I gave up for the present and installed
Lightroom Classic … Because I needed to get some work done again. All the
problems disappeared and I'm back to my usual productive photo workflow since,
and the cost is a $10 per month charge to keep using it. I don't use the Adobe
Cloud at all: with LR Classic, the application operates the same way it did
with LR 6.x, but they do try to push you to use the Cloud services and the
Lightroom Cloud-based version. I don't need to, I don't, and I won't.

And I keep looking for a usable alternative that nets the same productivity and
consistency. I haven't found one yet, but Photos (supplied with macOS, iOS, and
iPadOS) continues to look good when supplemented with "RAW Power" (by Gentlemen
Coders - https://gentlemencoders.com) for more useful control of the rendering
specifics. I also have Affinity Photo that works well as a Photoshop
replacement. And a few other hopefuls that I'll test out when I get a chance.

My new camera (Hasselblad 907x with the CFVII 50c digital back) produces native
raw files that LR Classic understands and works very well with. Hasselblad also
provides their own image processing and control software for macOS and
iOS/iPadOS (Phocus 2 and Phocus 2 Mobile). I've tested this briefly so far: it
works pretty well from what I have seen and offers some advantages for that
camera over LR Classic, as well as extensive tethered operation in the case of
Phocus 2 Mobile and the iPad Pro 11". I'll spend more time learning it and
working with it as well.

—
No matter where you go, there you are.