On 3/27/2020 4:49 PM, John wrote:
I think I mentioned the frequent-flyer friend who had symptoms a couple of weeks ago and was afraid he might have Strep ... and then the shit-storm started and he was afraid he might NOT have Strep.

Turned out to be neither, just a nasty version of the flu that wasn't covered by this year's flu vaccine.

We just got the full "Emergency Public Safety Alert" blast to *STAY HOME* about half an hour ago. I dunno. They already told us that a week or more ago. The announcement seems more like "Dammit! We really mean it this time!".

I gave my new mask a workout earlier. Went outside to cut the grass to test if I could wear it for an hour or more without touching it. Worked. Had no problem.

This is the 10th day after that asshole coughed on me, still no symptoms.

The mask is snug enough I can feel it suck in and puff out with every breath I take. There's not enough air escaping over the top edge to fog my glasses, so I think most of my breath is going through the filter material.

I think it will be good enough to keep me from spreading germs when I do have to finally go out shopping next week.

John, it sounds like you should be OK, though give it until Tuesday or so to be on the safe side. Here's the deal with the N95 masks, or any other masks, including your homegrown one:
They don't stop viruses.
What they do for the first 10 minutes or so is keep you from spraying all over the place if you cough or sneeze into them. After about 10 minutes, or whenever the filter saturates with moisture from your breath due to your exhalations they do something similar to what a diffuser does to light.
You get smaller droplets spread over a wider but shorter area.

If you really want to keep from spreading germs, maintain physical distancing. Our overlords are recommending 2 meters/6 feet. More is, obviously, better.

If you want to keep from having germs spread onto you, again, maintain physical distancing, and do not touch your face with your hands or anything else after you have been in a contaminated area without washing your hands first.
Presume there is no such thing as an uncontaminated area.

Also, and this might be the only advantage of living in the USA, you get to shoot people who you feel are endangering your life. Presume that anyone who refuses to stay outside of the 2meter/6foot physical distance perimeter is a threat to life and limb, and deal with them as you see fit.

Stay safe and healthy

bill