Dave, you have had many replies here based on using a real photo. I haven’t
gone through all of these, I am sure they have solved your problem.
But, just in case…

For the iPhone there is an app called Passport Photo. It facilitates
framing/shooting a selfie (or you can have someone else use your phone with the
back camera.) I have used that successfully for a couple of photo-ID situations.

Stan