My father spent a lot of time visiting, restoring and documenting small
cemeteries in Central New Jersey.

He was trustee of the Somerset County Historical Society for
several decades.  He copied the information from these small
cemeteries into a record book, to assist those searching their family
history.  He loved helping these searches, even though he was the son of
Eastern European immigrants, and could never go back far in his own family
history in this country.

He was also the historian of Bridgewater Township, NJ.  His only power was
the naming of newly created streets.  His proudest act was naming the
connector between the Post Office and Country Library on one end and the
new Mall at the other.  He designated it as Prince Rodgers Boulevard.  Most
assumed Prince Rogers was a relative of George III.  In fact, he was the
earliest Afrrican American resident of the township, a fact my father
discovered by restoring a small private cemetery he found in the woods
along the new road's right-of-way. Prince was his first name.  Mr Rogers
was a runaway slave who came north and was the earliest documented (by my
father's restoration of his tombstone) resident of the small African
American residential community that was mostly displaced by the new mall
and its approaches. My father taught me the importance of remembering
people like Prince Rodgers, as well as the Dutch who were the original
European immigrants to this area.

Dan Matyola
*https://tinyurl.com/DJM-Pentax-Gallery