I doubt the new plant will last long either!  Last summer we had to buy some
more plants and put them under netting to prevent eggs.  We relocated
caterpillars there as they grew and opened it up when they were pupating.

There's a park not far from me where monarch butterflies stay over winter.
There aren't large numbers but it's very pleasant to see them on a sunny day.
It was fun showing them to my daughter last weekend.

Cheers,
Dave