Larry, I didn't think of that phrase ("Qu'est-ce que c'est).
It must be Spanish that displaced it from my active memory.

 Larry Colen Wed, 29 Jul 2020 12:29:42 -0700 wrote:

It's basically a pun on French for the phrase "what is it?"

Quis que c'est.

Dan, That's a good point!

Kiska together with Alaska was a part of Russian fur-trading outposts since 1775.
Kiska was sold by Russia to the US together with Alaska in 1867.
This toponym in Aleut is "Qisxa". But I am not sure which way that name propagated. However, what's interesting is that Kiska is one of the so-called "Rat Islands" that were named so in 1827 first in Russian, then directly translated into English, - because of the accidentally introduced rats that were eradicated in 2009(!).

I wonder if there was any connection between the kitty ("kiska") and the rats...

As for "kishka", actually, it means intestine (the original meaning) in some Slavic languages. My understanding is that the naming of the sausage with that word in some of those languages is secondary, - as the intestines (of pigs and cows?) were used as sausage casings.