----- Original Message -----
From: Brent Roberts
Subject: Q: Metering and B&W filters

> I have found reasonable success using a yellow No. 8 filter
with a 2X filter
> factor, and opening up one extra stop (correct me if I
misunderstand filter
> factors). I've shot two pics at the end of a roll I was
wanting to get
> processed in a pinch with a red No. 25 filter (5X factor).
Both of these
> shots were opened up 2.5 extra stops, and both are
overexposed. I was trying
> to put anything in a zone or anything like that I was just
using the incident
> meter to get a normal photograph. Now here is the questions
for real:

> Would I be better off using my meter as a reflected meter and
metering
> through the filter? Will I run into problems where the meter
is more
> sensitive to certain colors than others? How should I adjust
the filter
> factor for subjects that are overwhelmingly one color or
another. Do I simply
> have a misunderstanding about filter factors. Do your
recomendations apply
> for flash in the same manner? Thanks for all the help.

Not knowing if the Gossen is colour blind (check with the
manufacturer), I would not meter through a strongly coloured
filter. If Gossen sez the meter is colour blind, that changes
everything.
I believe the #25 filter has a factor of 4, not 5.
You didn't mention how overexposed the film is, or if you have
good exposure in part of the scene and bad exposure in another
part.
When you start using the strong filters, you need to start
looking very carefully at what colour of object you have in
front of the camera.
If you try to photograph a red barn with a blue sky with a red
filter, the contrast of the neg will be so high as to be nearly
impossible to print.
Local exposure is more greatly affected by strong filters than
weaker ones.
Weak filters, such as #8 require little thought about use, but
the strong ones, such as #21 or #25 do require some planning.
Film spectral sensitivity also needs to be considered.
Please see:
http://www.ilford.com/html/us_english/pdf/FP4Plus.pdf
http://www.ilford.com/html/us_english/pdf/Pan_F_Plus.pdf
http://www.ilford.com/html/us_english/pdf/100_Delta.pdf
(you will need Acrobat Reader).
You will see that within the family of films from this
manufacturer, the red sensitivity varies greatly from film to
film. The stronger the filter colour, the more spectral
sensitivity needs to be considered also.
Generally, use the weakest filter you can to get the tonal
separation you want. For most purposes, you won't need to go
stronger than a #15, which I believe is a 3x.
One thing you might try is going out and shooting the same scene
with several different strengths of filter, with bracketed
exposures (1/2 stops is sufficient for this exercise), then
process the negs and make a contact sheet of the film. This way
you get to see exactly what each filter does, in relation to
other filters with the same scene type.
HTH

William Robb