I wouldn't say it was a wrong decision.  If you want an APS-C Pentax with a tilt or flip screen there are two current models that suffice.   A KP or a K70.  Even thought I don't particularly want either they are great bargains at the moment, about half what I expect the new flagship to debut at.   Sure you give up some battery life and some buffer, but what I would want a flippy screen for buffer and battery life are probably the least of my worries.  I also expect that given current sensor tech you won't see a lot of difference between results from them vs the new flagship.

Not having an articulated screen does have the advantage of avoiding another point of failure.  I'll bet that Ricoh has a lot of internal data showing more screen repairs on those models than on any of the others.