Exactly. The polarity in the mercury battery is reversed in the new ones
(lithium). You have to insulate the outer part with a rubber and place the
battery "upside down". Check the page on batteries for SPs in this page for a
full explanation: http://spotmatic.web-page.net/. Here it is copy/pasted:
"Solution #1
(thanks to Alan Vevers for providing the info)

The PX400 battery used in most spotmatics is difficult to buy. If you do manage
to find one it is often expensive, old stock, and does not last
very long. I have used an inexpensive 392 silver oxide watch cell successfully
in my two Spotmatics for some time. The drain in use is very low,
about 0.04 ma. Provided the meter switch is left off when not in use, battery
life is considerable.

The problem is that the PX400 case is Negative (-) and the centre Positive (+).
Most modern cells I have seen are the reverse of this.

This is easily overcome without altering the camera in any way.

You will need a type 392 Battery and a short length of 3mm diameter plastic
insulated wire or 3mm insulated sleeving.

   1.Cut a 30mm length of 3mm dia. insulated wire or sleeving.
   2.Remove the camera battery cover, discard the old battery, and fold the
insulated wire or sleeving into a neat circle to fit snugly inside the
     battery cover. This insulates and packs the smaller replacement battery.
Place the 392 battery in this, Negative contact (-) down. (i.e. so
     the Positive contact (+) will make contact with the spring clip inside the
camera battery compartment).
   3.Put the battery cover back.

Note you may have to carefully ease the Positive contact spring inside the
camera battery compartment outwards to make sure it makes a
good connection with the battery.

Equivalents of the 392 are: SR41W, 10L125, RW27, RW47, 247B, WL1, G3, 2, 547,
8009, GP92, 392, SR41. Cost in UK about one third that
of PX400

Any problems please e-mail me [EMAIL PROTECTED]"