I just picked up a K-mount Vivitar Series 1 28/1.9 lens.  It seems
to be in very nice condition, nicely finished in look and feel (a
typical early Series 1 lens, I would say), except for one possible
thing that concerns me:

When focusing from infinity down to it closest focus distance point
of about 0.28 meters, there is a slight change in focus feel that
occurs at about 0.41 meters.  From about 0.41 meters to infinity,
the focus seems just a little bit stiffer, while from 0.41 meters to
0.28 meters, the focus seems just a little easier.

The transition at 0.41 meters seems abrupt (even if subtle),
although it does not feel rough or anything that suggests trouble,
per se.  It's just that I have never had a lens that exhibited an
obvious (if subtle) change in focus feel at one focus distance
before.  Perhaps it's just that the focus mechanism "changes modes"
at 0.41 meters, or that a floating element comes into play, or
something (???).  (Neither my K 28/2 or A 28/2 exhibit any such
change in feel while focusing.)

Does anyone else out there have one of these critters to
confirm that this effect is "normal"?  Thanks.

Fred