Hi Steve and all Vivitar users,

yes it's normal and due to the floating element. IIRC, the rear element is
the floating one. If you turn the focus ring, you can see that from a
specific point, the rear element is moving ( or was it the front element ?).
As it gets hold in normal position by springs, you have to apply the extra
force from the specific point of focussing to stretch this springs.
As I openend some time ago my sample, I know a little bit more than one can
see from the outside.

Bernd H.