... and about a half dozen more for less than $200.

You might also take a look at KEH & Amazon.

A gimbal mount might not set you back the $BIGNUM you're expecting.

On 12/28/2020 11:38:22, Ken Waller wrote:
Larry, I have longer Arca Swiss plate on my 600 FA, when used on my Kirk King
Cobra gimbal head the lens effectively becomes weightless. If the plate is
used effectively the angle of the lens should have no effect on the balance. The length of the plate needed depends on the lens it is used on.

-----Original Message-----
From: Larry Colen <l...@red4est.com> Sent: Dec 27, 2020 11:11 PM To:
Pentax-Discuss Mail List <pdml@pdml.net> Subject: Ball head question

I suspect that in theory the tripod mount foot on most telephotos is pretty
close to where they think the center of gravity will be when it’s mounted
on a camera.

When I’m using a ball head I find that this is very rarely the case.  I was
thinking that if I had a really long arca swiss plate on my lens, I could
attach it much closer to the balance point.  However I suspect that If I’m
shooting at anything not very close to level, it would no longer be that
well balanced.

Is there a good solution other than dropping $BIGNUM on a gimbal mount?

In a related question, When I’m doing astrophotography, I’ve found that a
pan/tilt head makes it a lot easier because I can adjust one axis at a time
and not risk entirely losing my aim.  I have accomplished this by putting
an Arca-swiss ballhead on one of my tiltall tripods.  Are there any decent
tilt-pan arca-swiss tripod heads?  Preferably ones that aren’t outrageously
expensive?

-- Larry Colen l...@red4est.com