Daniel, I noticed the letter "ӱ" which is not part of the Russian alphabet
(due to two dots above the letter). So I realized it wasn't Russian, but
rather some other Slavic language.

I will now go on to wikipedia and look it up. It stands to reason that
there are many words between our languages that can be mutually understood.
I can understand some Bulgarian, Polish, Croatian...
Sometimes it is easier when it is written - I may need time to do the
mental processing necessary to recall respective Russian words.

My favorite podcast at the moment is "The History of English Language" (
https://historyofenglishpodcast.com/episodes/). I'm presently at about
episode 51. This is extremely interesting.

And it is great fun to get new year greetings in all the languages that
this list spans!

Всех благ!
("All the best!", for those who are not in the know :-) )

Boris

--
Boris