Thanks all for comments on my snow pics (training material for the upcoming PUG :)). Ann, the gnarly tree is likely common hawtorn (Crataegus monogyna) which is commonly present in our dune areas, dead or alive.
In the past peasants used these for hedges.
But I'll check with others here to confirm.

Henk