> On Mar 10, 2021, at 10:42 AM, Toine <to...@repiuk.nl> wrote:
>
> That's what I do (with the KP and DA300). Would love to see an
> uncropped version. I can't make up my mind if the 150-450 with or
> without the K1 would make any difference. I usually crop a lot (75% or
> more), amazingly without any loss in detail.

I’ll just let my inner nerd run rampant.  This is all conjecture that could be
completely invalidated by direct experience.

Going from a 300 to a 450 would effectively double the number of pixels on your
final cropped image.

As to quality of pixels, these days my gut is telling me that what counts is
the total number of photons, so in low light 300mm at f/4 is probably pretty
close to 450 at f/5.6.

My guess is that in good light, the 150-450 would be an improvement in the
final image over the 300, particularly if you get the good TC.  The 150-450
would also have an advantage in flexibility.  With both lenses wide open, some
of the advantages might be lost, that would depend a lot on how many of your
pixels exceed your noise tolerance threshold.

TLDR; my guess is that the 150-450 would do no worse, and in many situations
would do better.
To support that hypothesis, if the DA300 did a better job, Paul would use one
of those.

As to camera bodies:  I don’t think the K-1 would give you any major advantage
when birding, because you would be mostly shooting in crop mode.  It can be
handy to see what is outside of the frame, but I’ve found that my K-3 is
generally a somewhat better APS camera than my K-1.  It looks as if the pixel
performance per sq mm of the K-3 iii will be significantly better than the K-1.
 I certainly hope so with a 5 year newer sensor, and the overall image
performance should still be better. It should be *much* better with several
Moore’s cycles difference between the two.

To phrase Raoul Duke’s attorney, Dr. Gonzo, I’d advise you to start looking for
a good deal on a used 150-450.

--
Larry Colen
l...@red4est.com