I used to use a technique of stepped up resolution in smallish increments of 10% per iteration using bi-cubic sharpening on good well exposed *ist-D images.  Then place a layer containing an actual scan of film grain on top to add some false detail.  With the right subject, and a good well exposed image, and not pushing it too far, maybe going to something between 9mp and 12mp, they didn't look too bad printed fairly large.  I even created a couple of Photoshop actions to do most of the grunt work.