Bill, those are actually the equivalent of ankles.

Here is a shot of an equally large squatting Goliath Heron which shows what I mean:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/wisselstroom/47936742056/

And a closer shot of a Saddlebill:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/wisselstroom/50326412492/

Alan C

On 20-Jun-21 10:26 AM, Bill wrote:
I've wondered for quite a while what chairs would look like if our knees
bent backwards like that.

bill