Cardinals are special to we easterners too..  I would say your Stellers are like our Eastern Bluejays in the sense you mean.  The brilliant color of the Cardinals especially in winter as they hang around all year, catches eyes no matter where they are. and their song and call are distinctive and pleasant too.

ann